My Mission Trip to France=$3800

I have raised $3,857.00 to date. My support raising is complete! Thank you!

Saturday, August 29, 2009

New York, New York

We've had the best time here in New York.
Day 1 was deemed travel day. We are totally euro-ready, after hauling our luggage through three boroughs for five hours after our plane landed. We went by bus from LGA in Queens to SOHO in the city where we had to pick up the keys for our apt in Brooklyn.
It was a very long day, but we made fun of it. We tripled how long we need to walk in Brooklyn by going north instead of south when we got off the Subway. But we found a great little park that we just took a breather in. Then we just CRASHED and tried to watch movie (Meet Joe Black...I fell asleep much to James' disappointment) while eating Chinese take out. So great. Lol.

Day 2 was AWESOME. This we call walking day. Went into the city and while James was getting his passport I walked about Greenwich village. I found this CUTE little Tea Spot called The Tea Spot and too many pricey vintage shops. Then we met up in Union Square and got an awesome falafel while eating on the lawn, where we met up with BRITTANY LOGAN! So wonderful!
She's house sitting in Brooklyn in a section called Carroll Gardens which is pretty much next door to Cobble Hill, where I grew up.

OH IT WAS SO SURREAL that I got to take Brittany and James to my old hometown, the pizza shop I so loved (My Little Pizzaria, where we got icees) and see my apartment, my backyard that consumed countless summers and winters and then we got to climb to the roof and see MY SKYLINE that I grew up with. It was so beautiful, and to be honest, I had Madonna's "This Used To Be My Playground..." running in my head, which is like so cheesy, but that's me, so there you go.
Being there and showing them my elementary school and where I lived was so sweet, to kinda realize that I was back where I began in a way.
It made me miss my mom a lot.

On the walk to the apartment that Brit's sitting, my camera slipped. It was terrifying. Alas, it's fixed now! It was a little dramatic there for a moment though.
Then we went into the city and went to Union Square where we saw a Human Punching Bag (yes someone accepting money to have people punch him, someone did, it was crazy) and then we went to the East Village to a coffee shop and yogurt place.
It was lovely, and after a long walk back to Union Square we parted ways.

Yesterday James and I slept in. Lol. We got a really late start, but went to Union Square, got my camera fixed, and then went to MOMA. We were going to hit up the Whitney as well, because it was free (YES!) but we just loved the MOMA so much we didn't have time. STARRY NIGHT was in the MOMA, Andy Warhol, Mondrian, Pollock, Cezanne...oooh I was giddy the whole time and yeah, I did cry when I saw a ROTHKO. I'm gonna be bawling through Europe, I know it.
It was just outrageous and incredible to sit in front of these pieces and think of how they have changed entire societies, the world, the way people think and feel and emote...oh New York. New York New York.
Then James and I got a really nice dinner in Times Square at Junior's! It was so lovely, and he convinced me that lactose intolerance was worth it to experience the cheesecake. I wasn't hard to convince, it was totally worth it.
We went back to Williamsurg in Brooklyn, an uber hipster (birthplace of the hipster, what up) village where we went to a Michael Jackson sing along dance party with Brittany and some of her friends.

Today we are planning on going to Central Park for a bit, Little Italy, and perhaps a visit to the WTC...kayaking or canoeing if we can. We are wanting to get time with Brittany and James' friend Philip who works with charity:water. I'm so excited to talk to him about it.
Then off to JFK for a redeye to Iceland, where we are going horseback riding and who knows what on our ten hour layover.
As I type, James just booked our hostel in London. So great. We'll be there for a bit next week, then off to the apt in Paris.

We keep walking the street screaming "HOW IS THIS OUR LIFE RIGHT NOW?" Ok, maybe I'm just screaming that.

Either way, it's an exciting way to live. God has been so good, and I've enjoyed sweet time with Jesus. My Nouwen book is awesome.

I miss my house. My kitchen, my Orlando. But I think I'm really just enjoying right now.

Pictures coming soon, of course.

Love love.

No comments:

Post a Comment